Thursday, July 20, 2006

Calla Lily Ankle Socks


I'm finished: ankle socks as requested from my 14-year old daughter. I used Wendy's generic toe-up pattern from wendyknits.net. I used size US 1 needles and a CO of 60 sts. I'm am becoming more and more of a fan of short-row toes and short-row heels . After turning the heel I used a 6-sts lace rib repeat but then I worried the ankle wouldn't be snug enough to keep the socks up so I switched to a 1x1 rib. In the past I've used Elizabeth Zimmerman's sewn bind-off as a stretchy cast-off for toe-up socks but on this pair I used a different strechy bind off: K2, *(move both stitches back to left needle, K2tog thru back loop, K1) repeat from *.
I wanted to try this bind off since one can rip it out easier than the sewn bind-off.... and these socks were knit to please a teen-ager so I wanted to be able to rip easier. I would rather knit socks that please her and will be worn than socks that just sit in her drawer - even if that means ripping out and doing part of it over. This yarn is to pretty to sit in a drawer.
After the forced photo shoot DD is still wearing them so I guess they are a hit ! Normally she thinks wearing handknit socks knit by her mother are pretty dorky but Purly's colors proved too irrisistible - even for a 'cool' teenager. Purly should consider this a high compliment.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aaaaw! I totally take that as a compliment! The socks are super cute! Nice knitting.

2:48 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Very nice!

3:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home