Thursday, July 13, 2006

Pooling and Flashing


Here are my finished Calla Lily socks. I love this yarn's stitch definition, the colors, and the soft finished fabric. I was sorely disappointed, however, with the pooling and flashing. I knit the legs on 64 stitches, as written, and used 68 sts for the feet. I needed to do SSK with the first st slipped knitwise and the second slipped purlwise, to get the left-and right-slanting decreases to match exactly. Does anyone have any advice for how to minimize the pooling? Are the skeins that different? My gauge was exactly on: 8.5 sts per inch. I'm looking forward to the next installment! These were completed in exactly 2 weeks--my fastest pair of socks to date!

4 Comments:

Blogger Wool Girl said...

I think those are absolutely gorgeous! What's great and fun about making these socks is that they don't have to be alike - the little differences and the big ones, are just awesome. They make them unique, which is just lovely! You knit them beautifully,

wg

11:03 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I think that alternating skeins probably is the best way to minimize really dramatic pooling. I sort of subscribe to the "wool girl" philosophy that fraternal twin socks are good, so I never bother to do it. But I think that would help.

6:49 AM  
Blogger knitbysue said...

I think you are the first on this KAL to post finished socks - Congratulations. I think they look great. I personally like the pooling - probably because I really like the colors and the pooling shows off each color better than if the two colors were intermixed. But if you don't want pooling I think Laura had the best advice: alternate skeins when you do the August Petals Collection socks.

9:46 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I like 'em!

3:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home